Five Dead, Including Two Suspects, After Shooting At San Diego Mosque

World

Two teen gunmen appeared to ‌have taken ​their own lives; Islamic Center targeted is largest mosque in San Diego County

By Reuters Published: 2026-05-19T12:36:00+04:00 2 min read

Scott Wahl, San Diego's Chief of Police, speaks during a press conference following a shooting at the Islamic Center in San Diego, California, U.S., May 18, 2026.  REUTERS/Mike Blake

Scott Wahl, San Diego's Chief of Police, speaks during a press conference following a shooting at the Islamic Center in San Diego, California, U.S., May 18, 2026. REUTERS/Mike Blake



SAN DIEGO: Two teenage gunman opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego in California, killing three men outside the ⁠mosque, one of them a security guard, before the two suspects were found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.

All of the children who were attending a day school ‌that is part of the mosque complex - the largest in San Diego county - were accounted for and safe after the shooting, which erupted shortly ‌before 12 noon PDT (1900 GMT), according to San ‌Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl.

Wahl said the FBI was called ‌in to assist in ‌the investigation of the incident, which the police chief said authorities were treating as a hate ​crime.

Scores of law ‌enforcement officers called ​to the Islamic Center encountered the ⁠bodies of three men shot dead outside the building, including a security guard who Wahl credited with likely having helped prevent further ​bloodshed.

A short ⁠time later, police ⁠discovered the bodies of two teenage males, aged 17 and 19, in a vehicle in the middle of a street, dead from ⁠apparently self-inflicted gunshot wounds, the chief said at an afternoon news conference.

He said investigators were still piecing together details of what precipitated the shooting and how the violence transpired.

Shots were also fired at a landscaper a couple of blocks away in ‌what apparently was a separate shooting incident, though police did not say whether a ​connection had been ruled out. The landscaper was not injured, Wahl said.

RECENT NEWS

Ebola Deaths In Eastern Congo Rise To 131 As Outbreak Spreads

BUNIA, Democratic Republic of Congo: Twenty-six more suspected Ebola ​deaths were recorded in 24 hours in eastern Dem... Read more

Bodies Of Two Italians Killed In Maldives Scuba Diving Accident Recovered, Government Says

Male: The bodies of two Italian divers killed ‌in ​a scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, a M... Read more

India To Monitor Boeing Fuel-switch Test Tied To Air India London Incident

NEW DELHI: Indian air safety officials plan to travel to Seattle to observe Boeing's testing of a fuel-control switch p... Read more

Cave Diving Deaths: Maldives Investigates If Italian Divers Went Too Deep In Fatal Cave Dive

MALE: Maldivian authorities ‌are investigating multiple possible factors behind the deaths of five Italian divers in ... Read more

Charlie Kirk Murder Trial: Tyler Robinson's Lawyers Seek To Seal Evidence And Close Parts Of Key Hearing

SALT LAKE CITY: Lawyers for the man accused of killing Charlie Kirk will make their case Tuesday to close portions of a... Read more

Starbucks Korea Head Fired After 'Tank Day' Promotion Sparks Public Uproar

SEOUL: The head of Starbucks Korea has been fired after a marketing campaign sparked public outrage for evoking painful... Read more