Death Toll Jumps To At Least 82 In China Coal Mine Blast

World

The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in ⁠Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground,

By Reuters Published: 2026-05-23T12:07:00+04:00 1 min read

Rescue workers prepare to descend into a coal mine in the aftermath of an explosion at Changzhi city's Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, northern China's Shanxi Province on Saturday, May 23, 2026. (Cao Yang/Xinhua via AP)

Rescue workers prepare to descend into a coal mine in the aftermath of an explosion at Changzhi city's Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, northern China's Shanxi Province on Saturday, May 23, 2026. (Cao Yang/Xinhua via AP)



 The death toll from ​a gas explosion at a coal mine in ‌northern ​China's Shanxi province has jumped to at least 82, state media Xinhua reported on Saturday, with nine still missing.

The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in ⁠Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground, Xinhua reported earlier in the day.

Chinese President Xi Jinping called for authorities to "spare ‌no effort" in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, while ordering a thorough ‌investigation into the cause of the accident and ‌strict accountability in accordance with the law, according ‌to Xinhua.

Premier Li ‌Qiang echoed the instructions, calling for timely and accurate release of ​information and ‌rigorous accountability.

Rescue ​operations were ongoing and the ⁠cause of the accident was under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan.

China has ​significantly ⁠reduced coal ⁠mine fatalities - often caused by gas explosions or flooding - since the early 2000s through more stringent regulations ⁠and safer practices. The Liushenyu incident, though, was one of the deadliest reported in China in the past decade.

Executives of the company responsible for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.

Earlier ‌Xinhua had reported only eight dead, with more than 200 people ​safely brought to the surface. It did not explain the jump in the death toll. 

RECENT NEWS

US And Iran Report Progress On Talks Ending War

Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that progress had been made in talks on ending almos... Read more

US Adds Atlanta Airport For Ebola Screening, Red Cross Mourns Death Of Volunteers

WASHINGTON:  Americans coming back from ​the Democratic Republic of the ‌Congo, ​Uganda or South Sudan now have ... Read more

Rubio India Trip Meant To Repair Ties, Promote US Energy

NEW DELHI: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio discussed trade and energy with Indian ‌Prime Minister Narendra Modi o... Read more

Tulsi Gabbard Resigns As Trump's Top US Intelligence Official

WASHINGTON: Tulsi Gabbard said on Friday she was resigning from her job as President Donald Trump's director of nationa... Read more

'Bundibugyo Is Too Beautiful To Be The Name Of A Disease': Ebola, Uganda And The Unwelcome Connection

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) - Boon-dee-BOO-joh. Before it became the somewhat easy-to-mispronounce name of a rare type of Ebol... Read more

Abdullah Bin Zayed Meets With Prime Minister Of Luxembourg

Luxembourg: H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, met with ... Read more